VIRGIL K. SMITH was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. Immediately after earning his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Michigan State University in 2002, he began to pursue both public service and entrepreneurial enterprise with passion, dedication and grit.
Smith has been hailed for his:
Strong ability to develop and maintain relationships with key individuals and organizations;
- Skill in influencing policy, and
- Expansive knowledge of governmental infrastructure on the local, state, and federal levels.
Elected in 2010 with over 55% support in the Democratic Primary and over 95% support in the General Election, state Senator Smith currently represents the 4th Senate District, which is located in the city of Detroit.
He brings a wealth of legislative experience from his time in the Michigan House of Representatives to the Michigan Senate. Smith will serve on five committees in the Senate, including:
- Banking and Financial Institutions;
- Economic Development;
- Insurance; where he will be Vice Chair;
- Redistricting; and
- Veterans, Military Affairs and Homeland Security.
Elected in 2002, Smith served for three consecutive terms as a Representative in the Michigan House of Representatives. While in the Michigan House, Smith chaired the Michigan House of Representatives’ Standing Committee on Insurance, overseeing a bi-partisan body of 17 legislators. He is extremely knowledgeable of the Michigan Insurance Code and the Michigan Constitution.
Notable accomplishments include the successful referral of 85% of legislation brought before committee to the House Chamber for passage, and sponsorship of the public act that provided home improvement grants to 26 neighborhoods within the City of Detroit.
Always remembering his role as an employee of the people, Smith made it a priority to maintain direct contact with the 12 neighborhood associations within his house district and to personally conduct monthly legislative briefings in each of those associations.
Understanding the plight and concerns of entrepreneurs and business owners is no new task for Smith. As an entrepreneur and business owner himself he successfully manages a number of separate business operations.
As a Partner at Auto Executives, LLC, Smith knows what it realistically takes for companies to turn a profit while managing employees, clients, consumers, and day-to-day operations.
While President of Virgil Smith, LLC, he possesses first-hand knowledge and experience in:
- Overseeing major renovation budgets;
- Negotiating contract agreements;
- Coordinating project calendars, with the ability to forecast and meet completion date goals; and
- Supervising project managers and labor employees for various sites.
Smith is currently pursuing his Master’s Degree in Public Administration from Western Michigan University. His hobbies include:
- Raising his Bullmastiff;
- Volunteering with several community organizations, including the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) Michigan Chapter, and Neighborhood Patrol for Green Acres; and
- Following his favorite sports teams
Smith is a proud resident of Detroit.